Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wait on the Lord

This summer I participated in an awesome Bible Study group. We went through the book The Sacred Echo, by Margaret Feinberg. I missed the first meeting and I almost didn’t go to the second one, but I’m glad I did!

Though I hadn’t read the book yet, one discussion question stood out to me that night. “What are you waiting for?”
On my way home, a song came on the radio – “While I’m Waiting” by John Waller. I’ve heard this song many times before, but at that moment I was especially captivated by the message. “While I’m waiting – I will serve you. While I’m waiting – I will worship.” Then as I read in the Psalms that week, I saw these words, “Wait on the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait on the Lord.” (Psalm 27:14)

Ok – now the Lord had my attention. I was listening. But what did He want me to wait for? Over the next few weeks, I continued to read the Bible and I continued to ask the question, “What am I waiting for?” The Scriptures revealed many blessings that the Lord offers to those who wait on Him.

Deliverance (Psalm 25:20)

Protection (Psalm 33:20)

Strength (Isaiah 40:31)

The word that stood out the most to me though was Healing. I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for over 10 years. I’ve resigned myself to the likelihood that I will deal with this my whole life. But I sense that God wants me to pray for healing, and to wait for healing. How long? 1 month? 1 year? 10 years? Perhaps the healing won’t come until I’m in heaven. But still, God wants me to wait, and to wait expectantly, believing that He is able to heal me.

But what if He doesn’t? That’s where another song has ministered to me. (God often reaches out to me through music!). “No Matter What” by Kerrie Roberts is my current favorite song. She sings, “I know that You could find a way to keep me from the pain, but if not, I’ll trust You, no matter what.”

What do I do while I wait? Sit around the house moping? Certainly not! Although there may be some days where survival is the best I can do, there are also days where I can take positive steps toward healing, like taking my medicine, seeking relationships and wise counsel, and of course, seeking God through His written Word and through prayer.

So what are YOU waiting for?

(written by Heidi Songer for the Westwood MOPS November 2010 newsletter)

No comments:

Post a Comment