Sunday, August 2, 2009

In Memory


On June 2nd, I heard the blissful sound of my unborn baby's strong beating heart.  What a reassurance after weeks of nausea and sickness.  But on July 13th, no heartbeat could be found; no movement could be detected.

 What happened?  Why?  We don't really know.  All we know is that our baby's heart stopped beating at around 12-13 weeks.  I was supposed to be 16 weeks pregnant.  I still FELT pregnant. I hadn't had any pain or other symptoms. This all just came out-of-the-blue.

So now what?  Well, we move on.  I get up each day (the hardest part!); I teach lessons; I try to keep my busy 4-year-old out of trouble and give him lots of hugs; I sing worship songs and jazz songs with my hubby and give HIM lots of hugs.

But I am sad; so sad it overwhelms me at times.  I am angry and frustrated at this outcome.  I need to mourn and that's why I'm writing now.

I'd like to post a poem that was sent to me from my mother-in-law.

"Just those few weeks"

For those few weeks-
I had you to myself.
And that seems too short a time
to be changed so profoundly.

In those few weeks-
I came to know you...
and to love you.
You came to trust me with your life.
Oh, what a life I had planned for you!

Just those few weeks-
When I lost you,
I lost a lifetime of hopes,
plans, dreams, and aspirations...
A slice of my future simply vanished overnight.

Just those few weeks-
It wasn't enough time to convince others
how special and important you were.
How odd, a truly unique person has recentlydied
and no one is mourning the passing.

Just a mere few weeks-
and no "normal" person would cry all night
over a tiny, unfinished baby,
or get depressed and withdraw day after endless day.
No one would, so why am I?

You were just those few weeks my little one;
you darted in and out of my life too quickly.
But it seems that's all the time you needed
to make my life so much richer
and give me a small piece of eternity.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing those emotions. You can't imagine how hard it is to have a miscarriage until it happens to you!

    ReplyDelete